2013…what a year!
For me, it was defined by a massive amount of discovery.
Self Discovery. Discovery of new places. New people. New interests.
Throughout the year, I was continually pushed outside my comfort zone.
Without getting too cheesy (ewww- the thought of cheese actually makes me feel slightly nauseous…had way too much cheese and wine last night!), here is a list of 27 things I discovered in 2013…
1. The deliciousness of kale chips & coconut water & PILPEL hummous (I did a quick calculation and I have literally eaten a 300g tub per week which roughly equals over 15kg of hummous)
2. The chocolately smoooothhh voice of Frank Ocean. I also got obsessed with ‘Thinking about you’ and have proceeded to discover every ‘cover’ of the song on Youtube.
3. The functionality of the ‘video’ on my phone….from ‘caroke to bedroom dance floor sessions. Hours and hours of entertainment. Here is a sneak preview of ITEM 2 & 3 combined. ENJOY…yes, I am using a hair straightner as a microphone….
4. My NEW favourite design website Trendland – I think stalked them & now contribute to their site!
5. What it is like to live without a TV for a year.
6. That I am a ghetto gangsta gal…they call me ‘brown suga’ (who am I kidding, I didn’t just discover that this year, I’ve known it since I was a child). A definite highlight this year was seeing Jay-Z & JT concert in NYC and then Queen Bey when she came to Sydney.
7. The beauty of fresh succulents.
(Image via Pinterest)
8. The sport of tree surfing
(Image via Pinterest)
9. The art of fishing and drinking…. simultaneously. In 2013, I entered my first Fishing Derby.
10. What it feels like to be a performance artist – I was part of a performance art piece in the MCA
11. Appreciation for all things handmade – this discovery was definitely inspired by my friends Franni & Alicia.
(Image via Red Bubble)
12. Sometimes dressing ‘hipster’…isn’t always ‘cool’. AKA the night I looked like the lampshade.
13. The feeling of scoring a soccer goal (took me 5 years but got there)
14. My new hobby – WEAVING. It is my goal in 2014, to improve my weaving….especially now that I got a magnifiying glass for christmas (thanks mum). I am officially a 27 year old stuck in an 80 year old body.
A beauty in the making by my favourite House of Maryanne.
15. The feeling of being able to do a yoga headstand – took me 12 years…
16. New beautiful people through volunteering for Achilles visually impaired running group & Inside out kitchen
17. That ‘space’ movies aren’t that bad. In 2014, I am going to be more ‘open’ to more movie genres.
18. What it is like to live near the beach
note: this isn’t my house…
(Image via Gardenista)
19. How cool it is to collect glass bottles…wierd I know.
Here are somethings I re-discovered….
20. My spiritual side …. through meeting some inspiring people….learnt a lot about the ‘Moon Cycles’. It’s my dream this year to go to the Observatory.
21. Rediscovered the world of dating – speed dating, app dating (yes, tinder), blind dating, bootcamp dating (it was called Fit2date…wish I was joking…would rather erase this from my memory altogether)..I tried it all.
22. New York City – actually this was a rediscovery….but I spontaneously booked a ticket 5 days before leaving. Was one of the most spontaneous things I have done…ever.
(Image via Word from Bird)
23. My love for everything related to Design & Architecture
What a beauty!
(Image via Blood & Champagne)
23. Certain ‘life’ events, made me re-discover how nice it feels to be surrounded by my family and friends.
24. How much I love spending time by myself – this year I really felt content in my own company…I even went and saw a couple of movies by myself.
25. How lucky I am to have a family home (with 2 beautiful puppies) to go ‘home’ to…
AND FINALLY….my family discovered…SELFIES.
I am excited for what 2014 will hold & what new discoveries I will make…
I have decided 2014 is the year of DIY. My main NY resolution is to embrace the ‘handmade’…I want to make things, rather than buying them. Will be the year of ‘Crafternoons’. Other resolutions include:
1. Wait 1 minute to try and use my brain to remember a fact, rather than automatically ‘googling’ it on my phone.
2. Wear less mui-mui’s (my sisters had an intervention…apparently it just makes me look frumpy, not boho-ethnic-hippy chic that I was aiming for)
3. STOP wearing a high bun so much (yes, this carries on from 2013).
AND ofcourse I will be stick to my mantra of ‘Treat yo’self”
Happy New Year & all the best for the year to come.