My grandfather (we call him Papaji) is the ultimate ambassador of good design.
From his clothes, to his house, to his travel destinations, to his golfing accessories – he is a ‘design hunter’ – always living in design.
However, I believe he doesn’t hunt design consciously. Unlike the Surry Hills hipsters, to him, it comes naturally, unforced, subconciously.
Papaji is turning 80 years old in a month & what better way to celebrate my 80th post than to dedicate it to him!
Let me share with you 10 reasons why my grandfather is cooler than me:
- He has the coolest hat collection this side of the harbour bridge. It is actually epic. Ranging form tribal nepalese to gangsta doo-rags.
- His ‘speciality dish’ is Baileys ice-cream – best ice-cream ever…with so much bailey’s it burns your throat & you cant drive home after 2 bowls.
- He has a more jammed-packed social schedule than I do. Consistently find myself trying to ‘fit in’ to his busy schedule.
- He is impeccably dressed –at all times. His shirts are always crisp and his ‘bumming around track pants’ are always pressed.
- He is the wisest man ever – Papaji always has a story for everything…yes, everything. One day he even told me an Indian fable about prostitution. Slight akward, but nevertheless, he can talk to anyone about anything
- He can walk fast. I mean really, really fast. Upon a family vacacy back in 2008 to NYC, we kept ‘losing him’ only to find he was always 2km in front of us. Man…does he have speed.
- He can handle he Chilli better than both me & my father – even if his bald head does sweat excessively when he does so.
- Well-travelled – he seriously has been everywhere….
- He owns an ipad & taught me how to use it (no joke).
- He finds the funniest youtube videos ever….
Continually inspired (and sometimes amused) by my grandfather’s ever growing hat collection…I thought I’d sharing some hat inspired interiors would be rather fitting.
(Image via The Decorologist)
(Image via Apartment Therapy)
(Image via lamaisondannag)
(Image via housepict.com)
(Image via teenvogue.com)
Now, I just want to go over to my grandfather’s house & create a hat display for him….
On second thoughts, do not think he would appreciate it…